1. The benefits of effective parenting and parenting education. An introduction to e-parenting
Description of Activity
In this learning module, parents will be introduced to the benefits of effective parenting and parenting education. Special attention will be given to e-Parenting and the fact that more than ever before, today's kids need their parents to help them use digital media responsibility because technology has opened many doors to great information and social networks around the world.
This module aims at introducing parents on how to get involved in their children education. The Internet allows teachers to efficiently communicate with parents. But do actually parents know how to use the technology for their children’s good? By the end of this module, parents will be able to understand how both them and their kids can use technology together.
The teachers will first watch presentations on the topic. Then, they will take a quiz to help parents determine how involved they are with their kids. Finally, they will watch a video describing easy rules that parents of today need in order to teach their kids how to use digital media responsibly. They will be introduced to Marc Prensky’s theory (2001) on digital natives and digital immigrants in order to realize the shift in children’s educational needs and the necessity for parents to be digitally informed. Additional videos that are available will help pave the way.
Other relative courses
- Parental involvement (website)
- The role of parents in a child’s learning (article)
- Helping Parents Raise Smart Digital Citizens: How Educators Can Help (article)
- How Involved Are You with Your Kids? (quiz)
- Overcoming 10 common barriers to parental engagement (website)
- Supporting parental engagement in learning (guide)
- Perception croisée enfants/parents face à l’usage d’Internet (report in French)
- An interactive learning system about reading in "CP" for parents and teachers, online and open access. (ILS in French)
Create Modules Inside Community
Share Resources in Community
Create and manage Projects